Moms are always in need of nutrient dense ingredients and whole food to fuel their postpartum healing and milk making days. Try using Protein in the form of nut butters, gelatin or chia seeds. You can get protein, antioxidants, fiber, probiotics and a variety of awesome nutrients in one sip!
- 1.5 cups almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 banana
- .25 cup pecans
- .25 cup gojiberries
- 2 tbsp real Maple Syrup or 2-3 soft dates
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Blend ingredients until creamy
consider adding probiotics for immunity and digestive health
Coconut Beet Smoothie
- 1 roasted beet
- 2 dates pitted and finely chopped (soak in water for 30 min)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter or sunflower seed butter
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
Blend until creamy. Add ice as needed.
How to roast beets: Beets are delicious on salads and in smoothies. They are packed with iron that is easily absorbed and doesn’t interrupt regularity. I usually roast 3 at a time a keep refrigerated for use throughout the week.
- Slice off green and scrub beets clean
- Place beets on foil
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Fold foil to completely cover
- Bake at 425 for about 1 hour
- Let cool, cut remaining stem, rub off skin with fingertips. Use a knife for the stubborn parts.
It's good to know that the rich color of beets is caused by water soluble antioxidants that you may note coloring your urine after you indulge.
Feel free to adapt the recipes to your needs and substitute with available produce. I add fiber and probiotics to my smoothies and drink with my favorite straws for a real treat!